Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 10 - 6

Well, here we are at post number 12. We finally made it to that heap of 10 songs that form the peak of my 80's music version of Mount Everest. To be honest, at times it has felt like it would have been easier to climb Everest. I've really enjoyed walking down memory lane with these 101 songs.

If you've read any of the previous posts you will already know that I can be long winded at times. Well, why break tradition ... Right? Because I added the additional commentary on these final songs, I've decided to break my last group of 10 songs into two posts of 5 songs each. Which means you are stuck with me for one more post after this. My apologies for having to listen to me for that much longer.

We now enter the ...



Here's songs 10 through 6 from ...


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 10 - 6

10 - Hot Hot Hot by The Cure

We kick off the top ten with my favorite The Cure song. I have such a great memory of this song due to a funny moment that happened after it's release. I had been going through some medical issues due to a fractured femur and entered the hospital for one of my 19 total surgeries. At this point everyone knew me, and I knew them. From housekeeping staff, nurses, technicians, and even other doctors besides my own. So one of the nurses walks in the room and I'm listening to Hot Hot Hot by The Cure. She asks what I'm listening to (She can't hear it). And I of course say "Hot Hot Hot." Then the age gap, and differences in musical taste becomes apparent. She says "Oh my god! I love that song. It's such a fun song to listen to." I reply with something along the lines of "I love it too." She then says, "I love the Jamaican feel of some of the lyrics. It makes me think of summer." Then I'm thinking "What?" 

I admit it took me by surprise, but I was an MTV junkie, especially during my recovering from the fracture. I knew exactly what she was referring to. She was talking about Buster Poindexter's "Hot Hot Hot" song. For those who don't know, Buster Poindexter was the alter ego of former New York Dolls frontman David Johansen. Needless to say, I just played along, and never told her I was listening to The Cure. Chances are, and this isn't an elitist statement, she wouldn't have given my song the time of day. Our musical choices were worlds apart, but at least it was another conversation involving music. I remember laughing about it, and still find it funny today.

As for the song ... This was an easy choice for me. What I think makes this song even more special is the fact that during the small time surrounding this album's launch (Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me), Robert Smith cut off all of his hair. So in a way, it was subversive because of the fact that his hair and makeup did not take center stage for once. Although I do love Robert's freaked out hair and makeup, until this very day. It took a long time for The Cure to find the large audience it has today. I think it's because they've never really seemed to care what others thought about them. They just did their thing and plugged along. What eventually happened was that Alternative Music blew up in the early 90's, and they had been playing that type of music for years. That's when people finally found them and realized just how important and great their catalog of music was. They were pioneers, and now they are legends

As a side note. If you want to hear a truly amazing "Greatest Hits" album then pick up the 1986 release Standing on a Beach/Staring at the Sea: TheSingles from The Cure. It had 2 names. Either Standing on a Beach or Staring at the Sea. It depends on what country it was released in. No matter what it's called ... It is one of the best greatest hits albums ever assembled. Buy it!!! Hot Hot Hot is not on that album because it was released later. This song has a killer guitar riff and some heavy music when it comes to The Cure standards. It's the bass line that truly does it for me along with great lyrics "The third time I saw lightning strike it hit me in bed, it threw me around and left me for dead. For a second that room was on the moon, then everything went black. I left that house on fire and I never went back." Turn it up, then click play ... and do it in that exact order.




9 - The Ghost in You by The Psychedelic Furs

For those in the know this band has often been referred to as the P-Furs. I have never called them that, I guess I like the sound of the full name much better. You have to admit, it's definitely an original and cool sounding name. Frontman Richard Butler used the word Psychedelic because he liked the sound of it, and wanted to reference the 60's movement. He settled on Furs to follow the name after deliberating over different clothing items.

As for Butler, I've always thought he was so skinny that he'd easily make David Bowie look absolutely obese. But that Heroin Chic look was very fitting for this guy with the awesome sounding voice. Some people might say that Psychedelic Furs were pure 80's music, but I won't go that far. I think a few of their songs fit that observation. But not all of them. Many of them would be right at home today on alternative stations everywhere. For instance, take a listen to All of This and Nothing and you'll understand what I'm saying. They have a distinctive sound, and you know who it is from the first note of music played.

Do me a favor and search out Butler's 90's band he formed called Love Spit Love. Their second album, Trysome Eatone would be in my top twenty albums of all time. It's one of those records that rarely comes along that every single song is amazing. Sure it sounds like The Psychedelic Furs. But that's only because his voice is so distinctive. Songs of note are Fall on Tears and It Hurts When I Laugh. But the heavy one that is freaking amazing is Long Long Time. Funny enough, while the first album is available on iTunes, this one is not. I'd love to have the digital downloads to carry with me, but maybe this particular album remains a favorite because I can't carry them, and it makes me appreciate it even more.

The Ghost in You is such a beautiful song. I'm not 100 percent sure what it is about, but I've always interpreted it as being about the end of a relationship. The memory of that person becomes like a ghost that continues to haunt you. "Don't you go it makes no sense, when all your talking supermen just take away the time ... and get in the way. Ain't it just like rain, and love is only heaven away. Inside you the time moves and she don't fade. The ghost in you, she don't fade." What an amazing lyric from a fantastic singer and songwriter. Even the video captures the moment perfectly, as Butler sits in front of a makeup mirror singing the song in a solitary moment. It's a perfect video, for an even more perfect song. The Ghost in You has stayed with me for over 30 years. Isn't that what makes a song you love special... When it becomes part of you.




8 - Blood and Roses by The Smithereens 

You may or may not know the band at number 8, but the Smithereens had some pretty modest hits in the 1980's. There's the songs ... A Girl Like You, Only a Memory, and the song that just barely got beat out by this song choice ... Behind the Wall of Sleep. The Smithereens were a New Jersey band formed in 1980. If you've heard their music you'll know that their sound is a strange combination of 60's mod and hard rock. Peace, Love, and Killer Music ... Somehow it works perfectly. Blood and Roses is a great song with incredible singing, cool guitar, perfect drums, and it's all tied together by a defining bass. Pat DiNizio, the lead singer, looks like a beatnik straight out of the 60's and he's armed with a killer voice to add that perfect touch of rock and roll.

What always cracks me up about the Smithereens is seeing these old videos with former bassist Mike Mesaros. Watch him bounce around everywhere. I still think its funny when you have bass players jumping all over the place even on a fairly low key song like this. I always had the feeling that the band was force feeding him straight coffee grounds to keep him on his game. I've got one personal message for Mike. There are numerous decaffeinated brands on the market ... Please try some. Of course I'm only kidding, The Smithereens wouldn't have been the same band without his unbridled energy.

The album this comes from, "Especially For You" is still one of my all time favorites. In fact this album has been cited as one of Kurt Cobain's biggest influences. It's been noted that Nirvana spent a lot of time listening to this album when they were in the studio recording their groundbreaking album "Nevermind" in the early 90's. Blood and Roses is yet another beautifully written song on my list. "Bought flowers in the springtime. October we were wed. In wintertime the roses died, the blood ran cold and then she said ... I want to love but it comes out wrong. I want to live but I don't belong. I close my eyes and I see Blood and Roses." Such a great lyric, from a great song. Give it a listen.




7 - Tom Sawyer by Rush

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the best rock and roll band on the planet. The trio from Canada ... Rush. Face it, you all know this song. In fact I'm sure you know many of their songs. But one of the defining tunes for 80's rock, and for the band itself, is Tom Sawyer. I still remember the first time I heard it, I was sitting at a friend's house when he pulled out the album Moving Pictures and said ... "You've gotta hear this song." Boy was he ever right. From the very first moment I heard the opening synthesizer I was hooked forever. Tom Sawyer is not only a top 80's song, it's an all time top ten hit. 

When it comes to the 3 best at their trade, each one of these guys are at the very top on their chosen instrument. For me there is absolutely no debate on this. Geddy Lee is the best bassist alive. Alex Lifeson is the best guitarist alive. Then there's Neil Peart the best drummer to ever walk this planet. Together they form the amazing power trio named Rush. Wait ... Let me change that ... Together they form the amazing "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted" power trio named Rush. That's right! Rush finally made it into the hall of fame in 2013. It's totally ludicrous that it took them this long to induct them. If you want to see the best speech ever watch Alex Lifeson's acceptance speech. It was his way of thumbing his nose at the people in charge of the Hall. Not just for leaving them out, but for all of the greats who still haven't been inducted. CLICK HERE to see the speech.

You know what I love about Rush. They never bought into the whole rock and roll lifestyle when they were younger. When others were grabbing women out of the crowds nightly, and almost killing themselves with booze and drugs, they were reading literature and practicing. This has been the secret of their success and their longevity. They set out to be the best and with long hard work, that's exactly what they achieved. Moving Pictures is in my personal top five of best albums ever recorded. There's Red Barchetta, Limelight, YYZ, and the amazing, way before its time Vital Signs. Vital Signs tells the story of being disconnected by technology and this was 33 years ago. This is a must own album for anyone who calls themselves a fan of good music.

Tom Sawyer is a rock and roll work of art. Not only that ... It's a freaking awesome song. There's Geddy's bass, synth, and vocals, Alex's guitar, but the star of this show is Neil's drum work. It's this song that made him into the legend he is today. If you don't know it, for all Rush songs Lee and Lifeson write the music, and Peart writes all of the lyrics. What I love about Peart's writing is apparent in this song. He draws inspiration from classic literature and poetry. These 3 Canadians changed my view of rock and roll forever, and set my foundation in place, with every brick they laid and every song they crafted. Turn it up and click play.




6 - New Sensation by INXS

It's better to burn out, then fade away. Lead singer Michael Hutchence's death has a lot of controversy surrounding it. On one side he's labeled as a guy who was a freak. On the other side there's a conspiracy about his early demise. Regardless of what side you are on, if you know the story, this was a very sad moment for me in music. INXS was an amazing band, with an amazing sound, who produced amazing songs. I have no doubt they'd still be recording viable music today had Hutchence not died in 1997. INXS has tried to continue, but have not been incredibly successful. Replacing Hutchence would be like replacing Jim Morrison of The Doors, or Freddie Mercury from Queen ... It just can't be done. Although the band coming up at number 4 on my list is one of the few that rose from the ashes to achieve even greater fame.

Back in the early days of MTV I remember sitting there watching the channel when all of the sudden they played this video from a band I've never heard of and all I could say was "WOW!" That video was for the song The One Thing from their album Shabooh Shoobah. It was one of the first concept videos I remember from MTV and from that moment forward I was a diehard fan of INXS. What I really loved about this band is that Michael wasn't the only person from the group you'd see in the videos. He may have been their anchor, but you saw the other 5 members just as much as Hutchence. Along with Garry Gary Beers, Andrew Farriss, Jon Farriss, Tim Farriss, and Kirk Pengilly ... They were a group of 6, not just 1. And man could this group of 6 play some music.

INXS had a lot of fun songs, but the one I chose for this list is their heaviest and their coolest. Every moment of this video is perfect. Especially the opening. It starts with classical music, then you hear the music kick in as the camera moves towards them. Then Hutchence spins around and the song completely explodes. The video shows this band when they are at their best. Just performing and revealing to the world why they were one of the best groups to survive the 80's. Michael Hutchence may no longer be on this Earth with us, but along with his band mates he left something amazing behind. He left a legacy of music for us to remember him by. Please join me in thanking him for that. "Live baby live, now that the day is over. I got a new sensation. In perfect moments. Impossible to refuse." ... I couldn't have said it better. Please join me in closing out this group of 5 and in celebrating the very best song from the Australian rock band INXS.


5 down ... 5 left to go! We're almost there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment