Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 70 - 61

Today we take 10 more steps towards reaching what I feel is the ultimate song of the 80's. Following you will find songs 70 down to 61. FYI: The top 40, when it is finally posted, will be filled with songs that, I feel, really tear things up. Even though I like these singers/groups, you won't find Cyndi Lauper, Culture Club, or Dire Straits in that territory. On my Ultimate 80's Music List, they do not have a place ... So stay tuned as things get bigger, better, and much much much louder.

Drum roll please ... Here's 70 through 61.


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 70 - 61

70 - Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) by Icicle Works

There seems to be quite a few songs on my list that could come from a John Hughes soundtrack. This however never appeared in one of his movies, surprisingly. This is yet another one hit wonder to make the list. One thing is for sure ... If you came of age in the 80's in England and you were named Ian (Like front man Ian McNabb) you were destined for 2 things. First is you would front a New Wave/Post Modern band. The second thing would be that you'd make my top 101 list.



69 - Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants

You might remember They Might Be Giants solely for their theme song for the TV show Malcolm in the Middle ("Boss of Me"). I remember them for having an awesome sense of humor. Their songs were quirky, and their videos were just totally bizarre. My belief is that they were heavily influenced by comedy, especially Monty Python. Although many people might find themselves saying "Who?" when they hear their name, it's important to note that they have won 2 Grammys and released over 15 albums along the way. Ana Ng (Pronounced ANG) was one of many 80's videos that I kept on a VHS cassette so I could watch and listen to the song whenever I pleased.




68 - Heart and Soul by T'Pau

I never really knew a lot about the band T'Pau; but I always thought they had one of the coolest names. Heart and Soul is just a great 80's song that still sticks in my mind today. When I listen to the 80's channel on XM Satellite Radio I can honestly say I have never heard them play this song in over 1.5 years. That surprises me, it's a really good song that is deserving of finding a new audience to appreciate it..




67 - Love Plus One by Haircut 100

Can you say PREPPIE? Haircut 100's Love Plus One video is more preppie than any other song released in the 1980's. With a volcano, cannibalism, surfing, Tarzan, and penny loafers ... This concept video makes absolutely no sense at all; but that's what can be said about 99% of the videos released in the 80's. Regardless of the video's cheesiness, that doesn't change the fact that the song has made it's way on to my list. You got love the way Nick Heyward sings "Aye ya ya ya ya ya, Aye ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ... Then I call." 




66 - Desire by Gene Loves Jezebel

Talk about your dysfunctional siblings. 90's alternative band Oasis (With Noel and Liam Gallagher's constant fighting) has nothing on the 2 twin brothers of Gene Loves Jezebel. They each actually have rights to the use of the band's name on different continents. Like the old saying goes ... East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet. With lawsuits against each other, this is a band that will not be doing the fashionable 80's retro reformation any time soon. With that said, Desire is a great song that that shows how great a band could have been if not for petty indifference rearing its ugly head like it always seems to do in bands. It also shows why it's so hard for some siblings to get along. Because we can't choose who we are related to. I bet their family reunions are a blast to attend.




65 - Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division

Joy Division is still one of those bands I always felt would have achieved the greatness and longevity of their contemporaries like Depeche Mode. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. On the eve of their first American tour in the early 80's, front man Ian (Yet another Ian on my list) Curtis sadly committed suicide. While the short lived Joy Division achieved cult status for their 2 albums. The remaining members reformed as a different and incredibly successful band that just happens to occupy the next spot on my list (at number 64) ... NEW ORDER. Love Will Tear Us Apart was Joy Division's masterpiece of pure 80's music. Rest in Peace Ian Curtis.




64 - True Faith by New Order

New Order is the true Phoenix rising from the ashes. Where some bands would have simply folded after losing their lead singer and friend to suicide ... The members of Joy Division came back even stronger and more determined as New Order. As one of the 80's more memorable bands New Order had their fair share of hits. My personal favorite is True Faith. Maybe it's fitting that a song with "Faith" in its title is my top choice for this great band.




63 - Fascination by The Human League

This choice is certainly subjective. I'm sure most people would pick "Don't You Want Me" as Human League's best. Well, I'm not most people and the song of choice for me when it comes to this band is Fascination. I always loved the use of color in this video. Not to mention that everyone takes a turn at singing. This is a group effort and my choice for their most memorable 80's song.




62 - Tenderness by General Public

There are few singers with Dave Wakeling's voice in this world. It's incredibly unique and you'd know it's him singing from the very first word. General Public was formed by 2 members (Along with Ranking Roger) of the English group known as The Beat. They were also known as The English Beat. They recorded one of my favorite 80's songs "Mirror in the Bathroom" (Click here to hear it). Mirror in the Bathroom almost made this list, but there's only 101 spaces so I will be including it in an honorable mention list after the top 101 has been posted. As for the song, it showcases Dave's voice and until this very day the upbeat nature of the song itself, along with the sweet video, really makes me happy when I hear it. It's a wonderful song ... Take a listen.




61 - Salt in My Tears by Martin Briley

Whether it's true or not, the story they used to tell about this song on MTV back in the day is that it got Martin Briley in a lot of trouble with his ex-wife's lawyers. Supposedly it was autobiographical and, if it was all true, I'd have to say it's one of the best put down songs ever written about a break up. What more does a person have to say then the lyric containing the title of this song "You ain't worth the salt in my tears" ... This is a fantastic song with a great set of lyrics. Today, I don't want to know if the story is true or not. I'm just perfectly happy believing in the mythology I have always associated with this song over the last 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment