Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 50 - 41

We've reached the top of the midway point and it's all downhill from here! Today we start the top 50 songs. As promised, I think the top 40 will serve as an ultimate playlist. In fact when all is said and done I will post the link to a YouTube 80's playlist containing all of the songs I've posted from 101 down to song number 1. Before I continue I wanted to post one comment about an artist missing from this countdown. I truly wanted to add Prince's "When Doves Cry" to this list. But what I've discovered makes me a little angry. Prince refuses to allow his music on YouTube or anywhere else for that matter. Artists are entitled to have their reasons, but I find it rather egotistical that he doesn't wish to find new fans by keeping his music available on the internet. That allows me to have my reasons for not wanting to support him as an artist any longer. Not making my list won't matter to him or anyone else ... But at least I know I kept him off the list for a valid reason. I can say I'm the sane one in this conversation. And that's not saying much considering I question my own sanity on a daily basis.

Drum roll please ... Here's 50 through 41.


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 50 - 41

50 - I Beg Your Pardon by Kon Kan

I don't have much to say about Kon Kan but I will say that I always loved the droll delivery of the lyrics in this song. Almost like he's too bored to sing the lyrics. I never really understood the K D Lang looking accordion playing woman in this video. But again, trying to understand 80's music video production is like trying to understand molecular biology while drunk and missing both of your eyeballs. It's just never going to happen ... Now is it?




49 - This is the Day by The The

The The was one of my favorite 80's bands that not many of my friends even knew existed. To be perfectly honest with you, for years they weren't actually a real band. Founding member Matt Johnson liked the idea of rotating people in and out of the band. It gave him the ultimate freedom to do as he wished. It wasn't until the late 80's until he actually wised up and created an actual full time band. That's around the time he recruited one of the best guitarist of all time ... The Smith's Johnny Marr. If you don't believe me, listen to the guitar stuff he was doing with The Smiths without the digital equipment available today, it'll blow your mind. As for "This is the Day" it is my favorite song from The The and has such an optimism that you normally wouldn't find coming from bands like these, especially in the 80's. Here's a phrase I would have never thought I'd utter in this lifetime ... The accordion is absolutely awesome in this song. That's right, the freaking accordion.




48 - No Myth by Michael Penn

I'll say this about a few favorites on my list. If you've never heard Michael Penn play and sing, then you are missing something wonderful. This guy is an amazing songwriter and performer. The album that "No Myth" comes from is called "March" and if a CD could truly be worn out, I would have wore out my copy. There is not a single misstep on this debut album. I like good lyrics, and this song has them. "Some time from now you'll bow to pressure, some things in life you cannot measure be degrees. I'm between the poles and the equator don't send no private investigator to find me please. 'Less he speaks Chinese and can dance like Astaire overseas ... OK" Reading that lyric won't do it justice. Check out the song below. I insist, because you need to hear it. I mean that even if you've heard it before, listen to it again. As a closing note, Michael is the oldest sibling of actors Sean Penn and the late actor Chris Penn. I'd have to say they have a pretty talented family. In my opinion, Michael being the most talented of the 3. I truly can't say enough good things about the album. If you trust me, look for "March" on iTunes or over at Amazon. Consider adding it to your music collection. It'll be worth the price.




47 - Talk Talk by Talk Talk

We've always said that real musicians aren't concerned with their looks. Well that can easily be said about the band Talk Talk. Mark Hollis looked like he was the offspring of the banjo kid from the movie Deliverance and the original Jason from the first Friday the 13th movie (The kid who jumps out of the water). But it's not looks you hear coming through the speakers. Mark Hollis was yet another unique voice in music. Many people will choose "It's My Life" as their best song, but my heart lies with "Talk Talk" because I love the meaning of this song. Listen closely and you'll know immediately what it's about. Talk Talk was a band for 10 years and then Mark Hollis quit the music industry. I've seen their amazing live performances which proved their potential; but the band Talk Talk became yet another "What could have been" footnote in the story of bands that made it out of the 80's and are still recording today. What I remember about them is they were perceived as difficult. But the truth is ... They embodied the "Never Sell Out" motto by refusing to bow to pressure. So kudos to them for that. Talk Talk is one of the groups responsible for the alternative music explosion. They are counted as a major influence to countless bands still performing today. Even though they went out on their terms, I'm still left feeling they could have been so much more.




46 - I'll Be You by The Replacements

There are many musicians I will credit with being the ones who started what is seen as alternative music today. I just mentioned one prior to this song (Talk Talk). But there are none more so than The Replacements. This band never got famous, like they should have been; and that's because not everyone understood the importance of their music at the time of its release. There is one thing that can be said about them that can't be said of most of their 80's contemporaries ... They were considered so influential that they were nominated for induction to the Rock and Roll Music Hall of Fame in October of 2013. They were not voted in ... But mark my word, that will happen in due time. Listen to their music, and pay close attention to Paul Westerberg's vocals on "I'll Be You" and tell me this song couldn't be released on alternative music radio today. They were a band way ahead of their time, and are on my list of favorite musical acts of all time.




45 - I Don't Mind at All by Bourgeois Tagg

Bourgeois Tagg gets its name from its two founding members Brent Bourgeois and Larry Tagg. Some may remember a great song from their first album called "Mutual Surrender" but it's a song from their second album "Yoyo" that I'm including here. "I Don't Mind at All" is such a great song. Brent Bourgeois' delivery of this song, about a relationship ending, is heartbreaking. You can feel it by simply sitting and listening to the lyrics. Sometimes songs strike that perfect chord, and they just stick with you. This song does exactly that. I carry it with me in my head and my heart wherever I go, not because it is sad ... Because it's just that beautiful.




44 - The Great Commandment by Camouflage

It's always been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If that is true, then Depeche Mode should be truly flattered by this great 80's song. And YES Depeche Mode makes an appearance on this list; but we have not reached that group of ten yet. When you hear lead singer Marcus Meyn you will think he is channeling the voice and spirit of DM frontman Dave Gahan. This German group has only tasted success in the USA one time and that one time happens to be with this song in the 80's. But they've been together for over 31 years and are about to release their 8th studio album next year. Some might say that they aren't successful. I say it speaks to what they have to offer as a Synthpop band that they are still performing today. That is success beyond anything I could ever hope for in my chosen profession.




43 - She's Crafty by Beastie Boys

To me the Beastie Boys are one of the best groups of all time. They never really seemed to take themselves completely seriously. Especially when you consider they were 3 Jewish kids performing Hip Hop music. What's great about that, is how they have always been accepted by the Hip Hop community. I think that is simply because even though they didn't take themselves seriously, they made sure that they took the history of Hip Hop seriously. She's Crafty is my favorite 80's Beastie Boys song. It saddens me to know that MCA is no longer on this Earth in the physical sense. But it's because of songs like these, he will always be remembered. You are missed Adam Yauch (MCA). May you rest in peace and may your music continue to touch all of the future fans of the Beastie Boys.




42 - Guyana Punch by The Judy's

This may be a strange choice to anyone reading this list. But you have to understand that The Judy's come from my hometown of Houston, Texas. This song had a cult following (This pun was indeed intended) in that part of Texas and in my high school. I believe the first time I heard it was from a bootleg copy of their album "Washarama" in 1981 or 1982. It was true subversiveness and actually quite cruel considering its subject matter. The song made light of the Jim Jones massacre of over 900 followers at his self named compound Jonestown in Guyana. As you probably know, Jim Jones forced his followers to drink a Kool-Aid type beverage laced with cyanide. So if you ever wonder where the phrase "Drinking the Kool-Aid" comes from, now you know. The whole story proves that nothing good ever comes out of a cult ... Well ... Except for this song. It's been 36 years since the craziness of Jonestown and its idiot leader happened. When you listen to this song, and find yourself smiling over these awesome lyrics, you will ask yourself the one question that all of us fans have asked ourselves over the last 36 years ... TOO SOON?




41 - I'll Wait by Van Halen

This will be short. Why? Because I can't tell you anything about Van Halen that you don't already know. Are they volatile? ... YES. Are they good? ... YES. Is "I'll Wait" the best Van Halen song with David Lee Roth as the lead singer? ... ABSOLUTELY. This is the one Van Halen song I could listen to every single day.



60 down and 40 left to go

1 comment:

  1. Judys Washarama! What a great album. I still have the vinyl.
    I was glad to see The The made your list. They are an often under rated band. I particularly like the piano at the end of Uncertain Smile.

    ReplyDelete