Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 60 - 51

With ten posts revealing a new set of 10 songs each time it's hard to keep the introductions fresh when the subject matter is the same. As we finish out the bottom 50 (51) with this post we are tipping over the edge and heading downhill through the 50 greatest songs coming out of the 1980's. This list was made possible by the greatest computer ever created ...The human brain. Today we take more steps towards reaching the ultimate song of the 80's. You won't like all of the choices, so I urge you to post your choices in the comment section below. Post the link to a video if it exists. I'd love to hear what you think.

Drum roll please ... Here's 60 through 51.


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 60 - 51

60 - That is Why by Jellyfish

I feel pretty darn confident that you are saying "Who in the heck is Jellyfish?" right at this moment. Well ... Let me tell you who Jellyfish is. In the 80's I was lucky enough to see them in concert as an opening act for a band I cannot remember (Alcohol anyone???). They performed at the famous Houston underground music club Numbers. What happened during that 1 plus hour set was simple. I realized that I was watching one of the best live bands I had ever seen. I'd still put their performance in my top 10 concerts today. Jellyfish was a band out of the San Francisco area that never found the fame that I believe was within their grasp. They broke up before the 80's ended. "That is Why" is one of those songs on my list that I sincerely hope you will listen to. After you hear it, I also hope you can say "Wow. They truly could have been a great band." Andy Sturmer's vocals and drumming make this song special. Gotta love the red hair too ... It just fits. Click that link and just listen, you won't be sorry.



59 - Der Kommissar by After the Fire

I remember exactly where I was the very first time I heard this song in 1983. The people I was surrounded by were singing the song, and I had no clue why. Then someone popped in the cassette and I understood exactly why they were singing this catchy tune. In less than a month after hearing that song I'd lose one of my best friends, who constantly sang this song, in a horrific accidental drowning. For those familiar with the tune, you'll know that the song was originally written and performed by Austrian music sensation Falco. I owned a few of his albums back in the day. I love Falco's version of this song; but After the Fire's version is the one I happened to hear first, so it sticks with me. Sadly Falco passed away at the age of 40 and I remember being upset because I understood how great of a musician he was. As for the song, After the Fire was another one hit wonder. Which is sad  when you really think about it ... Considering they didn't even write the one hit they had. Needless to say ... Der Kommissar's in town, so please don't turn around. 




58 - A Woman in Love (It's Not Me) by Tommy Petty & The Heartbreakers

"But it's not me" ... How many guys listened to that lyric about a woman being in love and could identify with it? We used to listen to this song and commiserate with Tom and the band. I don't have to tell you anything about Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. You already know how prolific they've been. But to me, out of all his songs, nothing captured the pain of love like this song. The pain of not understanding how things ended, and the utter confusion caused by it, is something we may never comprehend. "I don't understand the world today. I don't understand what she needed. I gave her everything, she threw it all away on nothing." What can I say ... This song is a masterpiece of heartbreak.




57 - How to be a Millionaire by ABC

ABC was a fun band. I loved their songs and thoroughly enjoyed their videos. Martin Fry always reminded me a little of Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music. Maybe that's one of the numerous reasons I loved this band. How to be a Millionaire is a tongue in cheek tune that actual pokes fun at being rich and uses the idea of gambling to punctuate how the rich might get richer. The title speaks of being materialistic, but the lyrics make a joke out of the whole thing. Especially  when Martin sings "I've seen the future, I can't afford it. Tell me the truth sir, someone just bought it." This is a really cool song from a really cool band.




56 - Shock the Monkey by Peter Gabriel

Oh Mr. Gabriel, we all know one thing about you ... You sir, are a weirdo. But maybe that's why we love your music so much. This song is not about animal rights and laboratory testing like I heard it was many years ago. It has absolutely nothing to do with that. This song is about what jealousy feels like and how it sometimes has the power to take us over. The video was always a little disturbing and strange ... But it's truly perfect for this song. Shock the Monkey, in my opinion, is one of those songs that could be released today and still stand up. I absolutely love this song.




55 - Love Bites by Def Leppard

When it comes to harmony, no other band on the planet has done it better than the guys from Def Leppard. When they all sing a chorus together it's pure magic. I would be OK with using any of their hits on this list, but I've always had a soft spot for "Love Bites." Maybe because Joe sings about what we all feel at times. That love can be unforgiving and painful. But those of us who want to be part of love, continue on through the biting pain. When you listen to this song it's easy to understand that it should serve as the blueprint for making a successful rock ballad, plain and simple. In fact, if there ever was a college course on constructing one, this song would need to be the first one played in that class.




54 - Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners

Who is Dexy and why are his or her people running at midnight? These are answers that we'll never find out. You know this song, admit it, you know the lyrics by heart and can even do the little dance they do while imagining them in their rolled up overalls. This is pure 80's and ranks up their with "Melt With You" for placing an exclamation point on the me decade. Come on Eileen is an infectious tune that still draws it's fans in today whenever they might hear it. Listening to this song is always like taking a step back in time. It's fun, and even though it too was a one hit wonder, it will always have a place on almost every top 100 list of 80's music.




53 - Hazy Shade of Winter by The Bangles

OK I'm just going to come out and say it even if it upsets people who were fans of this band ... I DON'T LIKE THE BANGLES. So what you might be wondering is "Why are they even on this list?" Well, let me explain. There are many actors and actresses I don't care for, but occasionally they appear in a role that surprises me with just how good they are in it. That's what The Bangles did when they remade the Simon and Garfunkel tune "Hazy Shade of Winter." This song is amazing, and in my opinion, is much better than the original. I also liked that it was recorded for the 80's movie "Less Than Zero" starring Andrew McCarthy and Robert Downey Jr. The movie was adapted from one of my favorite 80's books by Bret Easton Ellis of the same title. I especially love the 60's feel of this song with it's harmony and it's musical style. I may not like The Bangles, but I love their song. Enjoy.




52 - Rock of Life by Rick Springfield

Some people just don't get Rick Springfield. They immediately think of the song "Jessie's Girl" when his name comes up. I'm not ashamed to say I owned all of his 80's albums. What Rick displayed on those albums was simple. While most people saw him as a teen pinup, he really was a great musician and songwriter who never got the credit he deserved. Many of his unreleased songs bordered on what would be considered alternative music today. He was truly that good, but was saddled with that teen idol tag early on in his career and it destroyed any real chance he might get to obtain some credibility. Rock of Life is a great song, one of many great songs by this artist. It sits alone at the top of my Rick Springfield list and serves as a great reminder of what he could have done had he been taken more seriously. I'm happy to say that I totally got who Rick Springfield really was.




51 - True by Spandau Ballet

The video for "True" shows the band all dressed up in suits and ties. If my memory serves me correctly, I once read or heard that the band never wanted that look. They were talked into using it for the "True" video and I think that simple thing hurt them in the long run. It placed a stamp on them that stated that they were just a single moment in time, and nothing more. They had a few other modest hits, but "True" still stands out as a definitive 80's song and I knew going into making this list that it would occupy a space. I find it rather fitting that a line from this song was the inspiration for the title of my favorite book of all time ... Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much is True." Please enjoy the video below as it completes the bottom 50 songs and ushers us into the final 50 of The Ultimate 80's Music List.



50 down and 50 left to go

No comments:

Post a Comment