Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 30 - 21

The Top 30 is here and things are starting to get really interesting. As mentioned in the previous post, I'm not going to give you much to read here, because what I'm typing for each song is getting longer. What can I say, I have many thoughts I want to share about some of these top songs.

Here we go again! Get that drum kit ready. Drum roll please ... Here's 30 through 21.


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 30 - 21

30 - Beat So Lonely by Charlie Sexton

OK this is going to be really long and off topic, but I can't talk about Charlie without telling the rest of the story. So either sit back and relax or feel free to skip this part if you'd like. To start the top 30 I give you one of the greatest voices in music. This video of Charlie Sexton singing Beats So Lonely was done so the world could see what Charlie looks like. But what it doesn't show is what a great guitarist and showman Charlie Sexton really is. Charlie is a Texas boy, born in San Antonio and raised in Austin, Texas. I'm sure he'd tell you if he were writing this, his first love is Texas Blues. What is Texas Blues ... Just think of Stevie Ray Vaughn and you'll understand. 

Beat So Lonely with its great guitar work, and Charlie's incredible voice, set the stage for what would become one of the best "One Album and Out" bands of all time. That band is the 1990's Arc Angels (Click the link to go to a YouTube Playlist). The Arc Angels were formed in Austin, Texas out of the ashes of Stevie Ray Vaughn's untimely passing in 1990. Charlie, an amazing guitarist in his own right, joined up with another Texan by the name of Doyle Bramhall II. Doyle II is the son of famed Texas Blues drummer Big Doyle (Doyle Bramhall Sr.) who sadly passed away a few years ago. I'm happy to say that I was lucky enough to see him play, thanks to a dear friend of mine, before he passed away. Just so you'll know ... Bramhall Sr. was a major influence, musical collaborator, and dear friend of Stevie Ray Vaughn's.

Charlie was tutored in Austin as he matured by the likes of Joe Ely, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Jimmie Vaughn just to name a few. He was also connected with the man officially known as the Godfather of Austin Blues ... W.C. Clark. While at the same time Doyle II grew up surrounded by those same great musicians, especially the Vaughn brothers ... Thanks to his father's connections. To take things up a notch even further, the Arc Angels drummer was Chris Layton and their bassist was Tommy Shannon. You might be asking "WHO?" at this moment. Well ... Those two were members of Double Trouble, Stevie Ray Vaughn's backing band. Think Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble.

The Arc Angels band name is not meant to be religious, the "ARC" part of their name stands for "Austin Rehearsal Complex." The "ANGELS" part is without a doubt meant to be a tongue and cheek reference to something that none of these four would ever be called. Arc Angel Doyle Bramhall II in my opinion is one of the greatest living guitarists alive right now. Charlie is no slouch either though, considering who he's been asked to play with in his career. As for Bramhall II ... He's a lefty and strings his guitars for a right handed guitarist, and essentially plays it upside down. So basically he makes other guitarists look silly while playing his backwards. I had the pleasure of seeing what was billed as the Arc Angels final concert EVER in Houston, TX. Which turned out NOT to be their final concert once they started playing again around the state of Texas, especially in Austin (LIARS!!! LOL).

Their one and only album, the self titled Arc Angels, sits firmly in my top 5 best albums of all time. Their concert I attended is still to this very day the best concert I have ever seen in my entire life. Search out the Arc Angels album and listen to it. It will knock your socks off because it's a masterpiece of Texas Blues. I won't apologize for getting off topic when talking about Sexton's Beat So Lonely entry on my list. I wanted to add the rest of the story so those who've heard the song would know just how important this first hit of Sexton's career really was. It's all about history, right? To me, as a fellow statesman, Sexton is Texas music royalty. He's earned that status by working hard and paying his dues. He is experiencing and achieving the greatest success any musician is in search of, and that is acceptance amongst his peers. Now do me a favor ... Click that play button below and witness where it all truly began.




29 - When the Lady Smiles by Golden Earring

Most people probably think Golden Earring started and ended their careers with the 70's rock song Radar Love. But I know that this Dutch mainstay had been tearing up the Dutch charts since the early 60's while releasing 25 studio albums along the way. Can you say prolific? They had one of the 80's coolest hits with the song Twilight Zone that I'm sure every person who came out of the 80's remembers. But to me it's still not their best song. That song, their best, would come off another of my top albums of all time. That album was called N.E.W.S. Which was a title referring to the junk that pollutes the reporting of all mediums of NEWS until this very day. The letters were an acronym meaning that the sad news came from the North, East, West, and South ... Basically the four corners of the Earth. The video for When the Lady Smiles is actually pretty disturbing when you really think about. Front man Barry Hay hallucinates that certain women are this one lady who really does it for him. By the end of the video he has been given a lobotomy and can't even walk by himself. WHAT A JOY!!! But video aside, When the Lady Smiles is an awesome song. In fact it's like 4 songs in 1 with the way it changes tempo as it builds to the chorus each time. Here's my favorite Dutch band for your listening pleasure ... Let's hear it for Golden Earring.




28 - Brand New Lover by Dead Or Alive

I'm actually not going to say a lot about Pete Burns and the other guys from Dead Or Alive. With countless plastic surgeries and run-ins with the law, it would take a novel to cover it all. I will say that if you could have different types of dance club music that Dead Or Alive's music would be the Hard Rock of the dance mix. Pete has a rock and roll voice and the band has the musical chops to make this song worthy of the number 28 spot. I always loved the distortion in this video I've included and although it makes no sense, I still love it today. Turn it up loud people.




27 - The Whole of the Moon by The Waterboys

What does my number 27 entry have in common with my number 26 song? Karl Wallinger. He played keyboards for the Waterboys and left them to form the band World Party. You'll see him in the video, with glasses, as he plays the piano and sings. The Whole of the Moon is one of the most beautifully written songs on this entire list. It tells the story of 2 different paths. Of 2 different people. One was worldly while the other was local. I have always identified with this song and I knew from the second I started this list that it would have a high ranking slot. I urge you to listen to this song, listen closely. Hear the words. Then I dare you to tell me it's not filled with such optimism and a dream of someone wanting so hard to expand their horizons so they can think and feel on a global level. I've always felt the video, that I've included below, is one of the best live performances of a single song ever captured on film. Sure I'm probably making more out of this song than needs to be ... But it's just one of those songs I want to share. So maybe just one other person in this world doesn't have to feel so alone and is touched by its sheer beauty.




26 - Ship of Fools by World Party

Here we have lead singer Karl Wallinger again. World Party was one of those extremely underrated bands that came out of the 80's. They remind me a little of Tears For Fears. Karl's singing and musical style has an awesome bluesy style. Listen to the voice, to the guitar work, and especially the piano on Ship of Fools and I think you will easily become a believer. Check out their other hits Way Down Now and Put the Message in the Box for further proof of their potential greatness. Ship of Fools has a couple of meanings that you pick up on just from watching the video. One is pretty clear in regards to mankind doing everything they can to destroy the world. The other is what it's like to be part of a large family. Family is always a funny thing, because we can't choose our family. But family is the thing we will defend until the very end, regardless of any internal strife. As for World Party ... This was a band that should have been much much bigger, but like many I've mentioned on this list ... It just wasn't meant to be.




25 - Just Another Day by Oingo Boingo

If you liked 80's new wave, then you had to love the huge band Oingo Boingo. By huge I mean there were always 10 or more members in this band. It's leader, Danny Elfman, has had a fantastic career scoring countless movies and TV shows. His sound is unique, but his voice is simply amazing. He is one of those singers who can hit both the highest and lowest of notes. I'm always in awe of singers who are that gifted. Just Another Day, out of all of their 80's songs, stands out to me as their best work. It fits the criteria I put in place for this list because it's without a doubt one of those rare songs I could listen to every day. Click play below if you want undeniable proof. There's life underground.




24 - Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus

Of all of the members to come out of Bauhaus, Peter Murphy is my favorite by far. I would have included his solo work on this list, but in my opinion he really didn't start to produce his own great music until the 90's had gotten underway. Listen to Murphy's album Deep if you want to hear something truly amazing. Ziggy Stardust is of course a remake of the Bowie classic. For me, and I may be alone in saying this, it's even better than Bowie's version. Bauhaus can stand proud knowing they single handedly created the genre of music known as Goth. I always thought they could have easily been the offspring of Dracula and The Sex Pistols if they had babies together. They defined a generation of music that would take root in the 90's almost ten years earlier with their alternative take on music in the early 1980's. While the song is a remake, this band was 100 percent original. Turn the volume up and sing this classic with me.




23 - How Soon is Now by The Smiths

Johnny Marr's haunting guitar. Morrissey's amazing lyrics. There is only one corny way to say it ... This song is a work of art. The Smiths were like a comet streaking through the night's sky. There is never a question of IF it will burn out. The real question is ... WHEN? Thank goodness this band blessed us with an amazing body of work during it's very short time together. This song is about looking for or trying to find acceptance. Something we all want, but don't always achieve. Listen to the music, the lyrics, and it will become clear on what Morrissey was trying to ask of the world he occupied. Countless people are still searching for that same acceptance (They so deeply deserve) even today, some 30 years after this song was recorded. This is a song that stays with you, long after it has stopped playing.




22 - Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes

Violent Femmes were always a band that was cool to say you liked. Maybe it's because they have one of the best band names ever. Blister in the Sun, off their self titled first album, is one of those rare almost bare bones tunes that burns you up. It starts from the very first moment you hear that opening guitar riff and snare drum ... And builds throughout the rest of the song. When this song comes on my satellite radio I'm still mesmerized by it today. It is not only a greatest hit of the 80's, it is a greatest hit of all time. How could something so seemingly simple, that may be about a little "alone time" (wink wink), have such a lasting impact? That's the genius of Song 22.




21 - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down by Paul Young

Paul Young has an amazing voice. While he had a few 80's hits, I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down stands out to me as his very best work. It's got everything you could want in a song. Some really funky 80's music, a killer vocal, great bass playing, and smart lyrics. Every Time You Go Away is a good song, but this song, could kick that song's rear-end up and down any street. It's just that good. Closing this group of ten songs out, and taking us into the top 20, is yet another cool 80's tune. Here's Paul Young at number 21 and he's pissed off.



80 down and 20 left to go

No comments:

Post a Comment