Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 80 - 71

Well folks we've reached the next 10. Following you will find songs 80 down to 71. At this point I won't bog you down with a lot of extra and unneeded commentary before it begins. One thing is for sure though, the list is really getting good, so stay tuned.

Drum roll please ... Here's 80 through 71.


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 80 - 71

80 - American Soviets (The Cameron Paul Remix) by C.C.C.P.

If you want the poster child song of the mid 80's for a dance club, then this song is number one on that list. It was remixed by famed San Francisco DJ Cameron Paul. This is one of those rare songs that demands you get up and move. Especially after you've consumed massive amounts of alcohol. I absolutely love this song.



79 - Say It Isn't So by The Outfield

The Outfield. Most people want to talk about their song Your Love. For me, there is no better Outfield song than Say It Isn't So. The band never achieved much success after this album, and that always surprises me. They were truly a great little band.




78 - Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry

Bryan Ferry. His style was perfectly suited for the ME DECADE. I always felt like when I watched a Bryan Ferry video it could have easily been an advertisement for an 80's cologne commercial. So much style, and in this rare case, it actually has a lot of substance. This is a beautiful song that deserves a spot on my list.




77 - She's Tight by Cheap Trick

While its debatable on what song is Cheap Trick's best ... To me, no other tops this one. Cheap Trick was always made up of 4 guys that had faces made for radio. We've always joked that to be a good ROCK band, you gotta be pretty unspectacular to look at. Cheap Trick took that to a whole new level.




76 - Say What You Will by Fastway

This is an awesome song. Great vocals and an amazing guitar riff. Fastway was a one hit wonder. But in my book it would have been hard for them to ever top this song. Let's just say they quit while they were ahead and called it a day.




75 - Don't Tell Me by Blancmange

Blancmange. The first thing that will probably come to mind when you hear that name is ... WHO IN THE HECK IS BLANCMANGE? Regardless if you've ever heard of them, take a quick second to listen to the song. It's got that great 80's dance club vibe. Once you hear it, I think you'll understand why I included it on the list.




74 - Don't Say You Love Me by Billy Squier

One of the best things I can truly say about the video for this song is that at least it's not Rock Me Tonight. For those of you who may remember, Rock Me Tonight was a great song with one of the worst videos EVER MADE. Don't Say You Love Me puts Billy right where he should have always been ... Singing while playing his guitar. Although he had numerous hits I still to this very day do not think Billy Squier got the credit he deserved for having a very distinctive and unique rock and roll voice.

Just for fun, if you haven't ever seen Rock Me Tonight, follow this link after you've watched the video below. Don't say I didn't warn you though. Click here ...If you are brave enough.




73 - Hot Girls in Love by Loverboy

I don't have a whole lot to say about this song, except that its a fun song full of energy. Never before had the genre of music videos driven so many people to copy lead singer Mike Reno by wearing his trademark head band. What can I say ... I did. Now if I can only find every picture ever taken of me with one on, then I can burn them all, and everything will be right with the world.




72 - No New Tale to Tell by Love and Rockets

Personally ... If you can't have the great goth band Bauhaus you can always have the next best thing which is Love and Rockets. Daniel Ash, David J, and Kevin Haskins all came from Bauhaus. This is yet another 80's band that bridged the gap between Goth/New Wave to present day Alternative music. The beginning of this song would probably be in my top five if I ever did a list of the greatest song openings ever. Singer David J is never going to win any singing contests; but his delivery of lines like ... "Simple as a flower and that's a complicated thing" ... always puts a smile on my face.




71 - Drive by The Cars

I'm sure when it comes to The Cars, opinion is split on who the better singer is ... Is it Ric Ocasek or is it Benjamin Orr? My favorite of the two has always been Benjamin. Today I'm still sad when I think about Benjamin Orr's passing in October of 2000. He was so talented and many won't know this, but he had a fantastic solo album that was released back in the 1986 titled The Lace. As for his solo work, the truth of the matter was, The Cars were always bigger than the some of their parts. The song Drive is a Cars masterpiece. Never before and never again did they capture the same haunting lyric, music and visual that came together to make this beautifully sad song. Thanks Benjamin, you are missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment