Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 20 - 11

The Top 20 is now upon us, and this is one great group of songs. Although they do not have anything on the 10 songs still to come after this. Let's get this 80's party started people!!!



I now present songs 20 through 11 from ...


Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 20 - 11

20 - One by Metallica

This song, released in 1989, is my choice for the very best Heavy Metal or Speed Metal song ever recorded. Metallica has created some awesome music but "One" is their masterpiece. It's a song that starts slow and builds and builds and builds until it has no choice but to explode. When you hear this song paired with an amazing video, it haunts you. I'm not saying this to make it sound scarier than it is ... But it has the power to give you nightmares. With Lars Ulrich on drums, James Hetfield on vocals and rhythm guitar, Jason Newsted on bass, and Kirk Hammett on lead guitar ... Metallica is a force, a band that's sum is far greater than its single parts. They are legendary and when it comes to crafting songs that reach you on a primal level, there's no one better. One of my favorite Rock quotes of all time comes from then bassist Jason Newsted. He says this when people call them sell outs, "Yes we sell out, every seat in the house. Every time time we play. Anywhere we play." I love that attitude! Of all metal songs, there has never been and never will be a better one. Now crank it up and shake that head with me. Number 20 will bring the house down.




19 - Over My Head by King's X

It was a move to Houston, Texas that made me take notice of this power trio in the late 80's. With that in mind I've always called them a Houston band. What King's X was offering, was something different. Their sound was definitely a foreshadowing of things to come. So often Nirvana gets all of the credit for being the band that changed music and created a brand new genre. Then there's the incorrect notion that Soundgarden created the sound by using a technique known as Drop D Tuning on the bass. That is also incorrect. I like hearing comments from famous band members of that time that give credit, where credit is due. Pearl Jam's bassist Jeff Ament has stated that he believes King's X invented Grunge and the whole Seattle sound; and I believe that to be 100 percent true. So maybe we should be calling it the Houston sound instead. But I digress ... The song Over My Head comes from the trio's album Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. The album's name is definitely one of my favorite titles of all time. King's X Doug Pinnick, on bass, has such a great presence and powerful voice. During that time he sported a mohawk that might look dumb on any other performer. But on Doug it just looked natural, like he was born with that haircut. At the same time Ty Tabor shows he is one of the best guitarists on the planet. Not to mention he shared lead vocals with Doug. Then there's Jerry Gaskill on drums, I always like to think he is one of the greats in his own right. He didn't surround himself with 50 drums, yet on some songs you would easily think that. Check out the 1992 song Black Flag if you want additional proof of their musical prowess. Over My Head is a killer song, and just one more step on the ladder that led to today's version of Alternative music. Watch this band, and like me, be amazed by the fact that there are only 3 people playing.




18 - She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult

Guess what folks? We've got ourselves another lead singer named Ian. This one comes in the form of The Cult's lead singer Ian Astbury. And what a singer he is. The Cult had that rare combination of not only having style, but they had substance to back it up too. After being heavily influenced by Bauhaus and going the Goth Rock route for the first part of the 80's, The Cult established themselves as a power rock band. From that point forward they weren't Popsynth, New Wave, Electronic, Dance Club, or any of the other 80's sub genres. That's what made them a true alternative choice. She Sells Sanctuary is one fantastic, pounding rock song. It's truly another song on this list that could be released today and still be viable. The fire in your eyes keeps me alive ... That lyric sells the song, and it's that fire that continues to fuel my love of music today.




17 - Under the Milky Way by The Church

The Church was an alternative band out of Australia. I always pegged them for thieves. But not for any reason meaning they stole something. The Church snuck into the mid 80's early alternative scene below the radar, and slipped out under cover of night. I almost feel like they purposely did not seek superstardom in the USA. Because they are yet again one more band that could have easily ruled the music scene on this continent if that had been what they chose to do. But I will say this about The Church, they made a decision to take their music the progressive route and in the process have achieved fame on their own terms. In fact they were inducted into the Australia Recording Industry Association Hall of Fame in 2010. Under the Milky Way is a work of art in terms of New Wave/Alternative music. It's haunting and one of those rare cases where the video perfectly catches the mood of the song. If you haven't heard it before, you have to listen. Please listen.




16 - Is There Something I Should Know by Duran Duran

Time to get personal. There are many Duran Duran songs I could have placed on the list. But this one held special significance to me. Why? Because I remember the first time I saw it on MTV and said ... "I'm going to wear a tie to school." Maybe that's what MTV introduced the world to. Good fashion and horrible fashion (See song 73 - Hot Girls in Love by Loverboy for proof of the bad fashion influence). The medium hit at the perfect time in the 80's and probably sold more clothes at sky high prices than any other decade. What I wore to school during that time was heavily influenced by this band. By the way, as a quick side note and rant ... If my sisters are reading this just know, it's been 30 years since Duran Duran came to Houston, and I have still not forgiven you for leaving me at home when you went to see them in concert. I still owe you. As for the song, it is definitely one of my favorites from the Fab Five. I love the opening as it goes straight into the "Please please tell me now!" part. If you are younger and have only heard songs like Hungry Like the Wolf or Rio, I urge you to listen to Duran Duran before this album. They showed signs of such greatness in their songwriting. Had they not been adopted as poster children for the "ME" decade I believe their music would have obtained a much greater importance. That's not a put down of what they did accomplish. But that earlier stuff, like The Chauffeur, is mind blowing. What a great band, and what an amazing song.




15 - Won't You Hold My Hand Now by King

Not to be confused with my number 19 choice, which is King's X, the band King gets its name from frontman ... Paul King. For those in the know, King had a few modest hits in the 80's. But my favorite has always been Won't You Hold My Hand Now. One of the reasons is that I think it has some of the coolest lyrics. "I throw a flush I reveal my ace. The heart's my trump I don't need no picture face. I'm laying my cards out on the table place, won't you take my hand." Paul King has a great voice that has this little vibration thing going on, it really works. Also check out The Taste of Your Tears when you get a chance. I remember driving around listening to this song and album for hours. In fact, I just about wore out the cassette that this song came from (The album was "Steps in Time"). King is one of those bands I still never get tired of. Their music is definitely 100 percent 1980's ... But for a few bands on this list, I love that they represent a picture in time. A moment that is fun to remember each time I hear that opening drumroll and Paul screaming "Hey!" and adding "These are heavy times." What can I say, if I didn't absolutely love this song, it wouldn't be number 15 on my list. Give it a listen, you won't be sorry. It's such a great song.




14 - I Want Your Sex by George Michael

I don't have to tell you about George Michael, because he's another artist that almost everyone knows. I can say that he's a hell of a songwriter (The 90's Praying For Time is without a doubt one of the most important songs ever recorded). I remember the controversy surrounding this particular song from day one. You had your typical group of people who want desperately to pretend that people don't have sex. That same group that wanted to blame gay men for everything that went wrong in the world. They totally missed the point of this song. AIDS had become a full blown epidemic and the media spent more time scaring people than they did in regards to educating people. George Michael, created a song that is not only entertaining, but also informational. This song is about smart sex decisions. Especially monogamy if possible. I don't need to add a lot more than that. I Want Your Sex is a song that wasn't before it's time or after it's time. It was a very important statement that was just perfect for its time. Sadly, many people missed its relevance. I'm happy to say that I didn't. George may have gotten himself in trouble a few times, but that doesn't change the message of this song that still has great meaning today.




13 - Cult of Personality by Living Colour

Oh let me tell you what this band does with this song. They melt your brain. Corey Glover's energy and voice along with Vernon Reid's killer guitar work make this song an instant rock classic. But the song is also a very powerful statement about the media and politics. The use of actual historical recordings and footage for the song and video lends even more power to it. This band still has a following, but they could have easily been the biggest and baddest band to come out of the 80's. In a quick side note, for a short time between 2006 and 2008 King's X frontman Doug Pinnick stood in for Glover while he committed to performing in a touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar. It's also important to note that Glover was also in the Academy Award winning Platoon. I can't stress how great this band truly is. This song is one that I would never turn off. It's just too good to pass up every single time I hear it. Turn it up loud.




12 - You Can Still Rock in America by Night Ranger

I have often wondered why I love this song so much. There's not a whole lot to the lyrics, but I guess it's simply because it's a fun song to listen to. Night Ranger had numerous hits, but this and Don't Tell Me You Love Me are in my opinion ... The very best. Jack Blades and Kelly Keagy were both fantastic singers but at the end of the day I have to give the nod to Jack Blades. Sure many of you would choose Sister Christian, with vocals by drummer Keagy, as their best work. But while I like that song, I love this one so much more. I know you've heard this song, but like all of these final ones in the top 20 you need to plug in your headphones, turn the volume all the way up, and just listen to a freaking great rock and roll song. This song may be called You Can Still Rock in America, but it's a mantra for the whole wide world.




11 - Sold Me Down the River by The Alarm

I always felt the Welsh band The Alarm's biggest downfall was not their music, or their band. In my opinion it was the band U2. It's almost as if the world had only one place open for a band from the UK with a particular sound and they handed the keys to U2. But I see The Alarm as the better band. Hey, what can I say ... That's my opinion. This song, has some killer music and one of the best openings ever. Sold Me Down the River is proof positive that The Alarm could have easily stepped out of the shadow and took their rightful place in rock and roll stardom. I have always loved the fun desperation in this song. A guy pleading for his life to have one more second with the woman of his dreams. When he says ... "There's a fire beneath my skin. There's a fever that makes me ill. Got a love, a love that kills. I've got twenty four hours to live. Comeback, I'm begging you please." This song sells ME down the River every time I hear it, and has the power to really make you smile. The Alarm closes out songs 20 through 11 with one of the most memorable tunes recorded in the decade. Now get ready, because the moment is now here ... On the other side of number 11, sits the top 10 songs revving up their engine and preparing to run you down.



90 down and 10 left to go ... STAY TUNED

No comments:

Post a Comment