Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 90 - 81

Here we are ready to move into the next 10. Following you will find songs 90 down to 81. While my entire list is complete there's still a lot of jockeying for position on some of these higher listed songs. I've been constantly reviewing the list only to realize the positions of some of the songs are incorrect. I guess that truly shows how subjective they can be. In the end this is a trip down memory lane, so the real reason for such a list is to make you smile. I have but one favor to ask ... Please listen to the songs you may never have heard of, that's where the true fun will be had. 

Drum roll please ... Here's 90 through 81.



Feel free to post a comment. I've turned off the need to sign in or sign up, so if you wish you can post anonymously.

Without further adieu ... Here's my definitive list of 80's songs that shaped my decade. Enjoy.


The Ultimate 80's Music List - Songs 90 - 81

90 - Naughty Naughty by John Parr

Oh what can be said about this video. There's really not a lot of cool stuff going on, but the one thing I always loved was when John's Mustang turns the corner and the hubcap flies off the car. I do not think that was planned but I still think it's pretty cool. It fits with a video of a guy dreaming he's more than he is. The hubcap is that little bit of reality that says "Everything else is falling apart." Not that anyone would know this, but the girl who slaps him at the beginning of the song is a 22 year old Lisa Rinna formerly of the soap opera Days of Our Lives.

The hubcap comes off at 0:38 of the video below.



89 - What's on your Mind (Pure Energy) by Information Society

If you know this song then you'll know the voice of the person on the music sample who says "Pure Energy" ... It's none other than Leonard Nimoy as Spock from the Star Trek series.




88 - Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider

Although I had heard this song prior to the movie, I always think of the movie "Vision Quest" when I hear this tune. Sure it was a cheesy 80's sports movie about wrestling. But it always gets me when this song starts and Matthew Modine is all alone getting ready for the big wrestling match he's been preparing for. Then all of the sudden he hears his name and busts through the door to all of these people cheering as he makes his way to the mat. Cheesy yes ... But cool.




87 - Revenge by Ministry

Al Jourgensen really went on to be a freak, and he'd be very proud of that label. You can see he was already on his way in this early 80's video. Ministry would go on from the techno synthpop sound you hear in this video to being a very influential industrial band. Inspiring the likes of Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor.





86 - Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol


There was a short time in the 80's when I really wanted to be Billy Idol. I just thought he was so cool. While Billy had a number of hits, Dancing With Myself is one of the few I could listen to today. I still love the lyric "So let's sink another drink, cause it'll give me time to think." We always called beer "Courage in a can" and this lyric reminds me of that.




85 - What is Love by Howard Jones

Just a cool song. One quick side note. A friend of mine would never call Howard Jones by his name. As the 80's moved on, Howard's hair got longer, and poofed up in the middle. That friend of mine would refer to him as Rooster Head. Well here's my favorite song from "Rooster Head" himself.




84 - Perfect Way by Scritti Politti

Scritti Politti deserves extra marks for having one of the coolest band names ever. While the song is tame I absolutely love the many changes of the music throughout this song. Take a listen and you'll understand what I mean.




83 - Turning Japanese by The Vapors

"No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women, no fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark." One of the best song lyrics ever. By the way ... What's a cyclone ranger?




82 - Jane's Getting Serious by Jon Astley

Jon Astley is not a name everyone remembers. He is best known for producing other artists. In fact he produced the Who album "Who Are You" and has remastered their entire back catalog. He's been a prolific producer of many artists. Two things about this song. First ... It came from the album "Everyone Loves the Pilot (Except the Crew)" which is an awesome album name that I've always loved. Second, the music from this song was used as the Heinz Ketchup jingle for many years.




81 - We Care a Lot by Faith No More

People like to look at bands like Nirvana and herald them as the group that changed music as the 1990's started. I'm not saying they weren't revolutionary. I'm just saying they didn't start the revolution. I count bands like Faith No More as one of the many late 80's bands that led the way for the early 90's paradigm shift into alternative music. They were grunge, before grunge was cool. Although I'm not a fan of hers ... Courtney Love was even a member of this San Francisco band for a short time in the 80's ... SORRY SEATTLE.


No comments:

Post a Comment